Sunday, September 13, 2026

Arctic M2 Pro (Silver) SSD Cooler

I recently started building a small home server with Home Assistant, Open Media Vault etc in  Proxmox VE, on a second hand Dell Wyse 5070 Thin Client (N11D, 2018 - Intel Celeron J4105 CPU 1.50GHz,  2 x 4 GB RAM, 256 GB Verbatim Vi560 M.2 2280 SSD) bought for 75 euro and it works great! Silent, performance is actually pretty good, no complaints for what I need (it came with Windows 10, gave it a quick run an it was decent too).

At some point  I found Meliox / PVE-mods which is very nice to get a quick glance at temperatures and I was surprised to see the Verbatim SSD running at 54 °C without much activity, and then started looking for a way to cool it better. 

The machine is passively cooled, didn't know much about SSD coolers, I ran a quick ask by Gemini, looked at a few reviews on YouTube and finally found this Arctic M2 Pro SSD cooler for 3 euros (w/o shipping) near me, a small price to pay, whether it worked as advertised or not. Of course I checked whether it would have room in the Wyse 5070 and yep it does. 

And it does work well too - it dropped from 54 °C down to 40 °C idle, which is quite a bit. Didn't expect a big difference, just wanted to do something about it to prolong the life of the SSD, especially since is this is server will be continuously on. Here are some screenshots for the interested.


Before:

 After:


 


No comments :

Post a Comment