Sunday, March 4, 2012

Windows 8 Consumer Preview installation using Network Boot (PXE) - Update

An update to previous post explaining how to network boot using PXE. With Windows 8 Consumer Preview out, I’m back to trying to boot my old Vaio laptop using PXE and given Serva64 1.5.0 another shot.

It turns out that now running Windows 8 Consumer Preview on my laptop, both SolarWinds TFPTD and Serva64 were failing to serve files through TFTP to my laptop. Appears that the TCP/UDP Offloading were causing the issue, once turned off from my wired adapter, I could use Serva64 for both DHCP and TFTPD, simpler this way and using just one piece of software. I also changed from “PXE Compatibility” to “Option negotiation”, thanks to one of the comments on previous post (thanks Anonymous!).

Serva64 TFTP settings

Turning off all TCP and UPD Offload features from the wired adapter:

  • IPv4 Checksum Offload
  • Large Send Offload v2 (IPv4)
  • Large Send Offload v2 (IPv6)
  • UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4)
  • UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4)
  • UDP Checksum Offload (IPv6)

Network Controller - Advanced settings - offloading

Thanks to the Windows 8 feature that allows to easily mount ISO as virtual DVD drives, there is no need for additional software like Virtual Clone Drive and the such, I could just share the Windows 8 kit directly for remote install.

Windows 8 ISO drive

1 comment :

  1. read here.
    http://vercot.com/~serva/howto/WindowsPXE1.html

    ReplyDelete