Wednesday, April 4, 2012

TortoiseSVN installation: “insufficient privileges”

You are an administrator, you were either asked to elevate or ran the installer “as administrator” yourself, but still getting this error:

The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory: C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin.
The installation cannot continue. Log on as administrator or contact your system administrator

TortoiseSVN - insufficient privileges

Well, it might have nothing to do with the privileges, but rather with the fact that the TSVNCache.exe is still running when the installer is trying to replace it with a new version.

TSVNCache - ProcExp

I guess you got two options here:
  1. kill the process and push the retry button, where you might need to logoff and log back in (or restart) to get the process back, or
  2. first change the option in TortoiseSVN Settings > Icon overlays > Status Cache from Default to Shell, in which case it might need to kill your Explorer as part of the installation.
Personally I prefer the first one, haven't seen any problems with it.

TortoiseSVN - Settings - Icon Overlays

21 comments :

  1. Thanks for the tip! I used your first option and was able to finish the TortoiseSVN update.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! You saved me some hair-pulling. And I don't have much left to pull. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. More of these and I'm there too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! Worked for me. I dreaded having to involve IT to troubleshoot this. Long live Google!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I thought there was a problem with the TortoiseSVN update.
    Actually it does look like a bug in setup.
    Thanks for the help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are the best! In spanish i would say: "sos groso, sabelo". In english it would be something like: "you are the top 1, just know that"

    Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you very much. I've spent hours looking for a way to make the folder accesible and this worked well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. just create the folder,
    right click and "Take Ownership".

    then the installation finishes successfully. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, your tip 1 saved my day! I killed the cache process and that allowed version 1.18.11 to install on my Windows 7.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks saved me some time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I started getting error when checking out/ updating code using Tortoise SVN
    Error: Not authorized to open root of edit operation
    Any idea how to resolve this ?
    Please suggest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure whether you searched the web first, sounds like a configuration issue on the server side - see if this can get you started in the right direction: http://stackoverflow.com/q/5411508

      Delete
  13. Спасибо большое, мужик! Очень помог!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This didn't work for me initially. However after rebooting the PC the service didn't restart immediately and I was then able to complete the install without error.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete