Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My new Dell Vostro 1520 laptop

I did mention a few times before that I’m looking for a laptop and I just got it delivered this morning. Some may say why would you need a laptop, you already have an ASUS R2H UMPC and a P4 Shuttle desktop, isn’t that hypocritical, you’re putting videos of the planet getting ruined and all and you’re just wasting more resources! And you might be right, I might be a bit hypocritical, just as much as everyone else… did I mention I don’t have a car? :-) In my defence, all revenue coming from this blog (how much that is, 30$ since opening, I know it’s not much) will be going to a charity for developing countries, so keep clicking those ads if you can… anyways, enough about me…

Recently I got my work laptop replaced with a Dell Latitude D630, 14”, 1440x900 screen, 4 GB RAM and 7200 rpm HHD, and it does hit the right marks (standard size keyboard, USB ports at the back, good screen resolution) - it’s just that I got fed up taking that home and not being able to change everything as I need so I decided to get my own. With some help from my friend Paul in IT I got a Dell Vostro 1520 offer - although I knew it has a few shortcomings (I won’t go into much detail on that now, I’ll give it a few days to see how I feel about them), it did come with a what I’d say a convenient price tag of 720 Euro incl. VAT.

    Dell Vostro 1520 (N0115266)
    • Intel® 45 Express chipset;
    • Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 (2.4 GHz, 1066 Mhz, 3 MB cache);
    • 15.4” Widescreen WXGA+ CCLF, anti-glare (1440x900);
    • 4 GB RAM, 800 MHz DDR2 Dual Channel;
    • Intel Integrated GMA 4500MHD;
    • Intel Wi-Fi 5300 (802.11 a/g/n) half mini card;
    • 320 GB Seagate ST9320423ASG 7200 rpm, NCQ enabled;
    • 8x DVD+/-RW TTSTcorp TS-L633C drive;
    • 6-cell 48W Li-Ion;
    • 65W AC adapter;
    • Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

    Some PC Wizard 2010 benchmark results right out of the box (might change some drivers and settings later):










    I will come back later on with some personal remarks and most importantly what I couldn’t find on the web before I bought it, a close shot of the keyboard (cause I do have some things I don’t quite like about…). Hope it helps other people decide as well, there are a few quite extensive reviews, but not on the same specs.

    No comments :

    Post a Comment