Sunday, April 27, 2008

Windows - Allow Remote Desktop access with blank passwords

Although you may be able to logon locally without a password, Vista just like XP does not allow by default remote access for those accounts. The obvious solution is to set a password for the account, another solution is to change the setting below.
  • Run gpedit.msc
  • Go to Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options
  • Set Accounts: Limit local accounts use of blank passwords to console login only = Disabled

6 comments :

  1. Works also on Windows 7!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your feedback - I believe this actually works in XP and later...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for this tip. Made it SO much easier to connect to my home theatre machine.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome, isn't technology great? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have tested this scenario and this post is correct. A password is required in order to access a machine remotely. Another method is to use remote desktop software, which is more of a turnkey solution. I am a small business owner, and I have tried both methods for my business. I believe the best method depends on your business and the level of technical ability that your employees have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the help :) works a charm.

    ReplyDelete