Tuesday, September 11, 2012

MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition

http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

With my Windows 8 Release Candidate partition running a bit low on space, I remembered a good friend of mine recommending this tool a couple of months ago.

I usually size my partitions at initial OS installation just for the system and the program files, and then a separate “personal” partition to keep my data, documents etc. The third partition I can create later by splitting the second one usually with the newer Windows partitioning abilities. Before Vista / Windows 7 though I used to use GParted from a boot DVD / USB stick, but had problems with newer Windows versions, so I gave up on it (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/faq.php#faq-14).

I like when these free home edition tools show  you a comparison with the professional versions, so you can see what they can actually do, instead of finding later that’s trimmed down version with limited functionality (http://www.partitionwizard.com/comparison.html). It also says it support Windows 8, so I decided to give it a go (as you can notice from the screenshots below, I could’ve booted in Windows 7 and use the resize of the other two partitions from there :-)

The UI is not much different from the other partition tools, but that I guess can be a good thing cause you can easily find what you need – select the partition you want to work with and the action from either the toolbar or the left side. In my case, shrinking the second partition first (notice the unallocated space after) and allocating the free up space to the second partition.

MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition - Shring D partition

MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition - Enlarge C partition

I like that it does recommend you to backup your data just in case, and so you should. I don’t do it enough either, but I do know loosing data is quite frustrating, especially thinking back that you could’ve avoided it – I’ll post soon on another free tool to image your partitions.

MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition - Partitions Before - Making changes

Applying the two pending operations, it can do the first one while in Windows, but the system partition will finish upon restart.

MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition - C partition in use

Operation completed successfully, all taking about 10 minutes I think.

Windows 8 Release Candidate - Partition resized succesfully

No comments :

Post a Comment